Volunteer-A-Thon, Spring 2017
Thank you to everyone who participated in our 3rd Annual Volunteer-a-Thon! It was a wonderful day to both raise funds for the Junior League of Asheville as well as serve our community.
This year the Junior League of Asheville volunteered at 5 wonderful Asheville organizations:
- Asheville Humane Society: We built dog houses for animals in need. Many people love their animals and the Humane Society tries to keep loved animals with their humans even though they may not always be able to afford houses for them.
- The Rathbun House: The Rathbun House is a non-profit organization that provides lodging and other supportive services in a “home like” environment, free of charge, for patients and/or their caregivers coming into Asheville for medical treatment. Volunteers will be cooking a meal and baking for approximately 50 residents.
- MANNA FoodBank: MANNA FoodBank is a 501-(c)(3) and a member of Feeding America, the nation’s largest domestic hunger-relief organization. In 2014, MANNA distributed 15,000,000 pounds of food, enough to provide 34,000 meals every day of the year. They distribute this food through their 248 partner agencies in the 16 counties of Western North Carolina. Volunteers spent their time sorting and packaging food.
- Black Mountain Home for Children Youth & Families: This organization has cared for abandoned, abused, neglected, and orphaned children in Western North Carolina for more than a century. Volunteers worked at their new camp property to get cabins and the grounds ready for use. We painted bathrooms, deep cleaned cabins, and got our hands dirty with landscaping outside of the cabins.
- Council on Aging: Established in 1964, the Council on Aging Buncombe County is a nonprofit that provides services to individuals age 60 and older. Their mission is to “assure access to resources that help adults age with choice.” The COABC provides personal support and assists with the challenges of growing older.